NVBLQ Course Pre-Requisites
Every candidate attending a NVBLQ course must:
- Be 16-years-old or over at the time of the assessment
- Have a good level of fitness
- Surface dive to a depth of 1.5 metres
- Tread water for two minutes
- Climb out of deep water unaided and without steps
- Be competent at swimming in the sea
- Before the course, candidates must be able to swim at least 200 metres in a pool (of recommended length 25 metres, but no less than 20 metres) in five minutes or less
- For the assessment, candidates must be able to swim 400 metres in a pool (recommended 25 metres, but no less than 20 metres) in eight minutes or less using a continuous front stroke and showing urgency
The NVBLQ covers all elements of beach lifeguard theory, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid, pool skills and open water skills. The course is physically demanding and will include swimming to set times and lifting. The NVBLQ is comprised of four modules and all must be successfully passed to attain the qualification.
- Module 1 – Beach Lifeguarding – Knowledge and Understanding
- Module 2 – Life Support and First Aid
- Module 3– Ocean Skils
- Module 4 – Pool Skills
The NVBLQ assessment takes place at the end of the course. It determines your competence, skills and knowledge of working as a beach lifeguard and assesses your ability to apply the skills and knowledge in a beach environment.
- Beach Lifeguard and First Aid Theory
- Life Support and First Aid
- First Aid Practical
- Ocean Skills
- Pool Skills
Beach Lifeguards may renew their qualification only within the validity of their existing qualification. Lifeguards are recommended to engage in continuous training to ensure they are ready for duty.
Approved Prior Learning (APL)
In some circumstances, candidates may be able to show evidence of prior achievement to exempt themselves from section of the course. Exceptions may apply to holders of the following awards and qualifications (guided time credits are shown in brackets):
- Current RLSS UK National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) [12 hours]
- Current RLSS UK Life Support 3 [3 hours]
- Current First Aid at Work Certificate or Occupational First Aid Certificate [9 hours]
Where candidates wish to claim a training exemption, they must provide the course trainer with original qualifications prior to the start of the course.
A maximum of 12 hours accreditation for prior learning may be claimed
- NVBLQ Board Rescues Skills & Guidance
- Malibu Assessment / Competency / Interest Form
- Download a Beach Incident Report Form.
Book on a Course