This practical introduction to powerboating will provide you with the basic skills necessary to operate a powerboat safely and confidently in coastal waters.
You will begin by developing your low speed close quarter boat handling skills before being introduced to driving at planing speed. You will also cover basic engine maintenance, chart work, collision regulations, tides, and weather
Completion of this course will allow you to apply for a coastal ICC for Power up to 10m.
Please ensure that you bring a passport photo along with you when you attend this course so that you can be issued with your certificate on completion.
Key learning points
Launching and recovery, boat handling, securing to a buoy, anchoring, leaving and coming alongside, man overboard
BOOK WITH OUTER REEF CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE
THINGS TO CONSIDER
Outer Reef fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely and follow these guidelines.
1. Pre book your adventure online. Booking in advance is essential. We cannot accommodate walk in bookings.
2. A booking confirmation will be sent out to your email address including all information you will need before arriving at the centre.
3. Waivers are online only; a link will be included in your email confirmation for you to complete on your own computer or phone. If we do not receive a completed waiver from you and additional participants, we cannot take you on your activity.
4. Arrive 10 mins before your adventure start time and wait in your vehicle where your instructor will meet you.
5. If you have your own wetsuits it is preferable to bring them, if not, our instructors will allocate your wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet that will have all been cleaned within manufacturer guidelines.
During this time, we have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe. Find out how we are reopening safely
The Next Steps
If you are keen to develop your powerboat driving skills further, the follow on course is RYA Intermediate Powerboat. It is recommended that you have theoretical knowledge up to the Day Skipper level prior to undertaking the Intermediate course.
PB2+ This is not a certificated course; we have put this course together to bridge the gap between the PB2 and Intermediate Powerboat, it is a day of powerboating to provide you with further tidal knowledge and working practice, weather, and more driving skills by practicing maneuvers in our range of boats.
If you are wanting to assist as safety or rescue cover in a racing or training environment, then you will need our RYA Safety Boat 2 day course, covering recovery techniques for various craft and fleet management.
"Good Vibes Only"