SLSGB ILS Lifesaving Courses In Europe | Surf Instructor Courses In Europe
SLSGB ILS Lifesaving Courses In Europe
The International Surfing Association (ISA) and the International Lifesaving Federation (ILS) have entered into a key strategic partnership together with Outer Reef to establish a universally recognized, global standard water safety course and certification for surfing and stand-up paddle (SUP) coaches and instructors. In its first year (2017) this course was wildly successful being run 27 times in 17 countries for 290 surf and SUP instructors.
The ISA/ILS International Surf and SUP Instructor Aquatic Rescue and Safety Course is specific for the surf instructing environment and available for all ISA and ILS Members to access. The course can be presented by ILS Member Organizations and those with formal endorsed trainer/assessor qualification. Dean Gough has run these courses in Indonesia & all over Europe.
The aims of the Surf Instructor courses are as follows:
- Establish a global minimum standard for Surf/SUP instructors water safety certification as the current water safety requirements vary from country to country. This will translate into a transportable safety accreditation that will benefit travelling coaches.
- Complement the ISA Coaching and Instructing Program Courses that currently require all ISA accredited instructors to hold a valid, recognized water safety accreditation
- Promote water safety worldwide.
- Enhance the value of the ISA Coaching Certification and provide more opportunities to our program participants.
The course is run over two days. It contains theory, practical components, and group activities. Assessment is competency based and successful completion is based upon the following:
- Full attendance of the training course and all practical assessments
- Basic Surf Fitness Test
- Competency in each of the Practical Assessments
- Completion of course participant workbook
Basic Surf Fitness Test:
Run-swim-run to demonstrate surf skill competency, based on small to moderate surf conditions and to be completed within a 5-minute timeframe: Minimum of 100m run, negotiation of the inner surf zone with a swim of at least 100m through the surf and impact zone, 100m run. Course presenters may extend the Basic Surf Fitness Test depending on conditions and adjust the time-frame accordingly.
Unconscious board rescue, basic first aid techniques in various scenarios, and provision of basic emergency care, including CPR.
Please find an overview of the ISA/ILS International Surf and SUP Instructor Aquatic Rescue and Safety Course HERE
All participants will receive an ISA/ILS Water Safety Accreditation that is valid for two years. This accreditation fulfills the minimum water safety requirement for the ISA Coaching and Instructing Program and includes international ILS-endorsement and recognition
All course material will be delivered electronically to the Course Organizer or to the Official Course Presenters.
Renewal: The ISA/ILS Water Safety Accreditation must be refreshed every two years
Please Note: ***Requirements of individual member nations internal requirements in relation to CPR and fitness recertification must also be considered.
"Good Vibes Only"